How a BigCo Actually Got Some Innovation Done by @Cote at DevOps Days
Michael Cote (@cote) goes through the history of crowbar and how they got it done at Dell.
- There are two types of people in the world… those that understand DevOps and those who dont. They had to attack the competing ideas against crowbar internally and externally and did so with metaphors (soup vs. sandwich). He also mentioned speaking through your customers and use their quotes—let them explain what you are doing.
- Always be Coding, not educating
- Get customers and users ASAP
- Work the Iron Triangle
- Find the right content
- Hiding Out, things are easier when no one knows they should care. Best way to do this is to only talk limited scope about what you are working on.
- Get by with just enough architecting and abstracting - Lean baby, lean. See Lean Startup book.
- Don’t open source a box of junk. (My note: This is what I did with Gauntlet and yeah, this is probably right. Release running code.)
- Market the right stuff